Monday, December 19, 2005

I swear it's true

I found my first years at school intimidating and fascinating. I would walk around the school yard watching and listening to kids playing, chatting and fighting. I'd always be on the outside just observing and not usually participating. I think I learned as much outside in the yard as I did in the classroom.

I can't remember what year it was, but I know it was either kindergarten or grade one. I was home and it was the weekend. We got a big dumping of snow the previous night and I was excited to get outside and play in it. My mother was getting my sister and I all bundled up in our winter gear and when my sister was ready she went outside. She ran back and forth excitedly in front of the door taunting me because she was dressed first. As I got my scarf tied and my sister ran by for what seemed to be the hundredth time, I figured I would try out something I learned in school.

It didn't feel like much more than a second later when I was laying in my bed holding my sore jaw and thinking that FUCK OFF was apparently the wrong thing to say to my sister.

That event did leave a lasting impression on me because I've never really said that since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home